This weekend was one of those rare ones. I actually accomplished what I set out to do 🙂 I wanted to get another coat of primer on the driver’s side of the cockpit as well as finish up the firewall fabrication. First up was finishing the top of the firewall above the driver’s footwell.
This actually went way quicker than I thought. First cuts on the metal fit like a glove and I was able to seam weld it all into place. Then it was just a matter of cleaning up the slag from the welder before giving both the top of the firewall and the driver’s side of the cockpit another coat of primer.
Continue reading Another Weekend of Fabrication and Primer
Sunday morning was spent with some friends that I haven’t seen for a while who were in town for a hockey tournament. They stopped by with their boys to check out the BatBerry in person. This motivated me to get up off my butt and clean up all the sawdust off the car and get it ready for some more fabrication work today.
First up on the fabrication list was to create a sloped drain for the area where the center rail will be for the canopy. This area has a curved rail that tucks down under the ridge of the dash so that the front of the canopy falls down into place. But I want to make sure that when I get water into this area that it will all drain back out. So I started by cutting a lower piece out of the firewall. This let me then cut out a flat piece and a couple of angled pieces of steel to create the slope from the bottom of the 2×2 tubing down to the bottom of this opening.
Continue reading Firewall, HVAC mounts and Rail Drains!
As the warm days of the summer and fall come quickly to an end I’ve been trying to clean up as much of the surface rust as possible and get some rust inhibiting primer sprayed. I’ve been able to get a few areas cleaned up. I’ve been able to spray some more on the passenger side of the cockpit and then also a couple of coats in the trunk.
Continue reading Some more Priming