More Dash Fitting

After getting the dash roughed in, I moved on to setting up the dash panels today.  The idea is to get everything in place including switches, LEDs, gauges etc so that I can slide the dash back into position and see if I have the proper clearances.

First step was busting out the dash panels and taping them into position.  Turns out I’ll have to widen the bottom of the dash even more to fit the bottom panels and also extend the area above the steering column down about 1″.  As usual, the second time around typically does the trick.

Continue reading More Dash Fitting

The Gear Selector Actually Works!!

I was quite happy today to find out that my plans for using the throttle quadrant as the gear selector actually worked!  This is something that had always worked in theory in my head, but until you see it work, you never quite know how it will turn out.

It actually shifts as smooth as butter with very little effort, but still enough resistance that it won’t pop out of gear.

After getting the shifter to work, I turned my attention to getting the dash properly fitted.  I needed to create a perch to set the dash bottom on so that the shifter cable could run under the dash.  The 1 x 1 tubing made the perfect material.

Continue reading The Gear Selector Actually Works!!

Fixing the floor pans

Re-doing work always sucks.  Especially when it means having to remove 1/8″ steel with a cutting wheel under a dash!  But it had to be done.

In a previous post I mentioned that the 90 degree edge that I had made covering the transmission cross member was actually cutting into my calves while sitting in the car and moving  my feet around near the pedals.  This definitely had to be fixed.

So this morning I cut out the steel and angled it back to give some clearance for the back of my legs.  My arms took a beating from the shards of metal, but it all ended well and my legs are now free of discomfort 🙂

Continue reading Fixing the floor pans

Holiday Monday Cabin Progress

With my brand spanking new garage overhaul waiting for me, I had a chance to finally dig into the car.  I also had a fellow Canadian Batmobile builder drop by to talk shop and get some ideas for his build 🙂

I’ve decided that the milestone that I’m going to try and hit is to have the car “road worthy” by September.  This means a laser focus on the essentials to get the car on the road and leave the gadgets as things to work on over the winter.  There’s a TON of work to do, but I find that I do my best work when I have a deadline.

Continue reading Holiday Monday Cabin Progress

It’s Been a While!

Lots of things have been going on lately so I haven’t been able to make much progress on the BatBerry.  First there was a week of nights and weekends at work getting ready for the BlackBerry 10 Jam in Orlando, then a week at the show in Orlando, and then one week of vacation in Orlando to recharge my batteries.

Coming home from vacation I was itching to get my hands on the car.  Then when I came home, I opened my garage door and saw the rats nest that I call my workshop with the little goat path to the door.  I had finally met my breaking point and couldn’t work in chaos for another day.

Continue reading It’s Been a While!