This weekend was one of those rare ones. I actually accomplished what I set out to do 🙂 I wanted to get another coat of primer on the driver’s side of the cockpit as well as finish up the firewall fabrication. First up was finishing the top of the firewall above the driver’s footwell.
This actually went way quicker than I thought. First cuts on the metal fit like a glove and I was able to seam weld it all into place. Then it was just a matter of cleaning up the slag from the welder before giving both the top of the firewall and the driver’s side of the cockpit another coat of primer.
I then turned my attention to finishing up the rear cover in the trunk area. I had created the ring around this area before and now needed to fabricate the lid. This started off with creating the sides of the lid by tack welding them in place to make sure that the shape stayed the same when it would be bolted down.
Then I traced and cut out a piece of the 1/16″ steel to create the top of the lid and started seam welding it all together. This process always takes longer than you think it will. Last was just cleaning up the slag and welds and making sure it didn’t deform too much with all the heat from welding. Before I ended the day I did manage to get a nice first coat of primer in this piece as well.