Today started off with 3 hours of filling, smoothing and sanding of the trunk vents… AGAIN… I thought I had them the way I liked but then realized that from different angles you could still see rough material on the inside edges. However, once it started raining I packed up the trunk lid and started on the Bat-disc doors!
You can check out the video above to see the Bat-disc doors in action and also check out the details below covering the work needed to make everything function properly.
Continue reading Automating The Bat-Disc Doors
I thought I would post up a video that gives you a bit of a closer look at the software on my BlackBerry Z10 that I use for the BatBerry’s systems. I previously posted some screen shots but I always feel that it’s nicer to actually see an app functioning than static images 🙂
After some much needed assembly work from Rob, the sound board for the 30 cals is now up and running. Everything for the board came as a kit and needed to be soldered together and this is where Rob came through big time! My soldering skills are really quite crappy 🙂
Continue reading 30 Cal Sound Board
I did a quick test this morning of something that has been brewing in the back of my mind. I’ve been wanting to find a way to use the switch on the throttle quadrant to do something cool. The unit has a series of pins for a plug that used to connect to something for god only knows what.
Continue reading 30 Cal Firing Switch
After yesterdays post about the completion of the afterburner fabrication, I started playing around with the LEDs and how I could position them. I never really liked the look of exposed LEDs but I wasn’t sure how much light would come out if they were tucked away. I guess the only way you find out is to give it a try 🙂
I pulled out the speaker enclosure and wrapped the LED strip around the cylinder area where the speaker attaches. This hides the LEDs unless you are looking into the afterburner on an extreme angle. I taped the strip in-place, popped it back into the turkey feathers and the video shows the result.
I really like how the lighting looked using this technique, so I think we have a keeper and I’ll now move onto another item of the TODO list!
Ahhhh.. one more thing to check-off the TODO list! 🙂 All the fabrication of the afterburner is now complete and I’ve posted a video at the top of this blog entry to show it all working! I can honestly say that I’m very happy with how it all turned out. I will however need to double check my afterburner anchor points since adding the extra steel and the heavy speaker magnet gives the unit a fair bit more weight than it had before.
Continue reading Afterburner Finished!
A few days ago the cheap $20 module that I’m using to making the lighting effect for the afterburner arrived. So this morning I figured I would test out my theory and wire everything up. The video at the top of the post shows the end result 🙂
Continue reading Afterburner Lighting Effects
Let me just say that today had both its ups and downs. The downer was that the Discovery Channel got back to me and we won’t have the BatBerry being filmed next week for the HighTech Toys week on Daily Planet. They just couldn’t get everything cleared with Warner Brothers to have it on. I had mentioned before that the turbine sound effect on my throttle quadrant was my favorite thing on the BatBerry so far. But I can truly say that the up-side of today’s progress beats that old favorite hands down 🙂
The video at the top of this post shows everything working, so I’ll step you through the details of how it all came together. First I want to give a gigantic THANK-YOU to Rob Williams who did the circuitry work, BlackBerry app and Arduino coding. Without his expert help I wouldn’t have been able to pull it off. He even created me a sweet circuit board with the Wayne Enterprise logo on it!
Continue reading Adding the “BlackBerry” to the BatBerry
It was a long tiring day in the garage Sunday. I was contacted by the Discovery Channel last week about bringing the BatBerry down to the studio to be filmed as part of their HighTech Toys week on the Daily Planet show. So I’ve been working hard to make sure all the gadgets are working.
The main goal for the day was to get all of the mounting mechanisms working for the 24″ linear actuator used for the canopy. The day started at 9am and ended at 7pm filled with high paced fabrication! The video at the top of this post shows the final product 🙂
Continue reading Motorizing the Canopy
Today I headed to the garage after lunch determined to finish up the fabrication for the center slider on the canopy. The video at the top of the post will show the final product but I’ll take you through today’s steps. It was an extra chilly day because I had to work with the garage door open in order to be able to raise and lower the hood for test fitting. The snow was blowing in, but I was bundled up 🙂
Continue reading A Cold Afternoon of Fabrication