Fuel Filler Neck Completed

The journey to having a properly working fuel tank and filling location has been a long and frustrating one.  But I’m happy to say that I now have the fuel filler neck complete and can successfully pour fuel into my tank.

The trick has been finding a tank that has a low enough filling point as well as a route to go from the filler cap to the tank.  In the movie car they didn’t actually use the gas caps to fill the car.  They had a third fuel door on the rear passenger side of the cabin that was painted the same color as the car.

You never notice this detail on film because of the way everything was shot and lit during the movie.

Things started off by first fabricating a plate to go around the filler cap bung.  This allows for a cap to be screwed onto the top if I ever need it, but my existing caps already seal the opening.

Next was creating a location to mount the filler neck to the body.  This was accomplished by cutting a piece of 1/2″ plywood that was a snug fit around the filler cap recess.  I then coated the plywood with resin to make it water tight.

I then cut a sheet of steel to the same shape and marked and drilled holes through the steel and plywood that matched the previously made plate.  Essentially the plywood will be sandwiched between two pieces of steel acting as a core material.

Once I painted the backing plate I bolted everything together.  I’m actually leaving the nuts where they are because they act as the perfect spacer for the back side of the aluminium ring used to secure the fuel caps.

This fixture was then held in place and I filled in all the gaps with some short strand filler.  This glues the plywood to the body shell and makes it easier for the next step, which was sealing everything with a couple layers of fiberglass resin/matt.

Once everything was secured I bolted up the neck flange and figured out the angle that I needed to have it reach the rubber inlet hose of the tank.  I also used a 2.5″ to 2″ reducer to make everything fit.

Once everything cooled I could test fit the connection.  I also double checked that there were no pin-holes on my welds where fuel could leak out.

All I had left to do was paint the filler neck and mounting location and reconnect everything.  The final result can be seen in the picture at the very top of this post.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s