Now for my second post for the evening…
After we finished the final fabrication for the fuel tank our attention turned to getting the chassis ready for re-installing the cabin walls.
This was your usual work of running the file over the steel to get rid of any of the slag from welding, sanding away any existing surface rust and wire-brushing the dust left behind from welding. Once that was all done it was a matter of taking the shop-vac and cleaning out all of the debris.
Then it was time to lay down a couple of nice coats of primer both in the rear section and a couple of touch-ups in the front cabin. This time I used the fast drying primer that covers nicely and can be worked with quickly. Between coats I would go out to my outdoor stands and lay down some black enamel paint on the other steel parts and cabin walls.
Once everything dried we began bolting the walls back into the cabin for the final time! The rear ones went on really quickly and all the bolt holes matched up (we had cleaned up these holes previously). Once they were all bolted in-place we grabbed the tubes of seam sealer and started to plug all of the gaps around the panels.
For those wondering what seam sealer is (also known as joint sealer) it’s the goop that is smeared into all the gaps in your car where there are pinch welds. So basically where two pieces of steel overlap, or if there are areas where water could get into some place and cause problems they run a bead of paintable seam sealer.
I took my cue from the car manufacturers and used a good amount on each of the gaps. There’s still quite a bit more sealing to do but we made a good start on it today.
We also managed to bolt in the front cabin walls. These were a little trickier because we hadn’t adjusted/trimmed anything since they were covered in fiberglass so there was a bit of “massaging” going on.
Tomorrow will be more seam sealing (paintable after 30 minutes), painting the rear parts of the chassis that will be covered by the body and assembling/installing the fuel tank.
I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we can secure the rear part of the body on for good by the end of the day tomorrow 🙂