Day 4 of Vacation

I decided that I was going to work on something a little more fun/interesting instead of good old bracing & supports that I’ve been working on for the last couple days.  I decided it was time to tackle the extra two speaker enclosures for my afterburner sound effects.

The picture above shows how the air tank for the suspension sits in the trunk of the car.  My goal was to create two speaker boxes on each side of the tank pointing outward under the car.  These speakers are just like the other exterior marine speakers that I’ve used so that I don’t have to worry about exposure to the elements.  This will give me a nice total of 3 speakers cranking out the afterburner sound effects 🙂

These enclosures started just like the rest of my other speaker enclosures, with a square piece of steel and a circle cut out of the center.  The one thing that I had to account for was that I needed to give enough of a lip on the outside of the speaker face so that the enclosure could sit flush against the side walls of the trunk (you’ll see what I mean later)

After I had the main face of the enclosure finished, I drilled a hole in each corner that would be used as the bolt holes for mounting the face to the side of the trunk.  From there I could trace the shape onto the side of the trunk and measure inward so that the wall opening would be slightly smaller and allow for some overlap between the enclosure face and the wall (this is why I needed that extra bit of space as a lip around the speaker face).

This process was then repeated on the drivers side of the trunk.  Next was creating the walls of the enclosures themselves.  This was just a matter of cutting a bunch of pieces of steel and seam welding them all together.

All that was left to do was a final test fit of the speaker to triple check my clearances and bolt the enclosures into their final locations.  You can see that I lined the speaker enclosures up with the ends of the air tank.  I just thought it would give it a bit of an interesting look 🙂

You can see from that last picture that I didn’t have a lot of room between the ends of the air tank and the speaker enclosures.  I had to make sure that I made the enclosures as shallow as possible if I was going to be able to pull off the look.  Below is one final picture that shows how the enclosure opening looks from the underside of the car.  The fact that it’s recessed a little bit should hopefully help with road debris.  Although I might end up welding on a small extended shield to help a little more with protection.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s