Today was my last day of vacation before working up until the Christmas holidays (I took a bit of time off over Christmas too) so I wanted to really put in a good effort in the garage and get a few things finished. First on the list was putting the finishing touches on the e-brake setup. I had previously fabricated the box for the handle, but I now needed to create the cable mount so that I can eventually run the e-brake cables back to the rear drum.
I’ve had the e-brake handle and cable kit laying around for quite some time now so I started the work by connecting the tension adjuster to the end of the handle. Next was figuring out the height that I needed to mount the cable bracket so that it would be in-line with the tension adjuster. I created a little box out of the 1/16″ steel and welded some nuts onto the back so that I could simply bolt the bracket into place.
Next up was drilling a hole for the brake cables to come in from the outside of the car. I’ll end up adding a grommet to the hole so that they don’t rub on the steel and run the cables down the side of the car. I’ll have to also make sure that I find a way to route them around the exhaust and be protected from the heat. From there I was able to weld the box into place beside the e-brake handle.
You’ll also notice that I drilled a hole and welded a nut to the top of the box that holds the cable bracket. This is so that I could make a little lid that will tuck everything out of sight once it is all connected.
And that pretty much finishes up the e-brake setup for the BatBerry. All I’ll have to do is run the brake cables and we’ll be good to go. I made other progress today as well, but I’ll do a separate post for it 🙂