Canopy Drain and Port Hole Windows

One of the areas that was left unfinished from my center canopy rail system, was protecting the interior of the car from any water that comes in via the grove for the roller arm.  I had previously created a sloped area to drain the water away, but I hadn’t created walls that would go back to protect the cabin yet.

This work started off with some good old templates out of Bristol Board that were then transferred onto some 1/16″ steel.  This will create a boxed in area that the underside of my dash lid will connect to.  I’ll create a fiberglass box extension that will drop down into this area as a “lip” that I can then seal from the inside with some seam sealer or urethane.

Everything fit fairly well so I welded it all into place.  I needed to create the box big enough so that I could get a ratchet down inside to secure the rail bolt.  You always have to think all the way forward to assembly time because the last thing you want to do is paint yourself into a corner 🙂

I finished off the day starting to think about the rear port hole windows and how I would secure the Lexan glass into place.  I had been thinking about a way of securing both the canopy glass and these rear windows for quite some time now. So I figured I would give my concept a try on the rear windows.

The concept consists of creating a steel frame with little nuts welded to the back of it.  The frame then sits on top of some 1/4″ plywood so that you can countersink the nut on the back into the wood.  The wood gives more strength to the frame and an area to eventually fiberglass over top of to embed the steel frame inside the body or canopy.  You just need to make sure you have the screws/bolts threaded into the nuts when fiberglassing so that you don’t fill the holes with resin.

First step was tracing the porthole shape onto some Bristol Board and then transferring it onto some of the 1/16″ steel.  I can tell you that a metal band saw would have come in handy to cut the circles, but the 4.5″ cutting wheel would have to do 🙂

This was as far as I got with these frames today.  I drilled 8 holes in both of them that will allow a screw/bolt to pass through and have a nut secured to the back side.  I’ll then weld the nuts onto the frame and remove the screws/bolts.  I would have done this today but I ran out of time and didn’t have enough parts.  So it was a quick trip to Rona to end the day to pick up the needed supplies for the next time I get a chance to work on the car.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s