Finished the Hood Mount metal work

Over the last couple days I’ve been able to finish up all the metal work for the hood mounts.  The picture above shows the finished mount with the bolt that comes up through the section/box attached to the hood.  As we go through this post I’ll show how I created the mount.

First up was finishing the metal fabrication on the front two hood mounts.  These sit just ahead of the front tires where the nose will rest using a soon to be created box similar to the one seen at the top of this post.

Replicating the opposite side always takes less time than figuring out how to create the first side. I was able to simply trace the metal from the drivers side onto some Bristol Board, cut it out of 1/8″ steel and welded it all in place.  I also created tops for the box-mounts with a 1/2″ hole for the bolt.  I passed the bolt through the hole and welded it on both sides.  These mounts are probably overkill, but since I have no idea how much force will be pushing up/down on these mounts, I wanted to make them as strong as possible.

I’m doubting the force will shear off four seam welded sides, or pull a welded bolt head through 1/8″ plate steel 🙂

I then moved onto the mounts that are near the gun doors.  These started off with some 2 x 2 tube that was cut to sit flush with the side of the box stuck to the hood.  I then measured and drilled holes for the bolt to pass through which would be welded (after mock-up) both around the head and also where it passes through the top of the mount.

Holding these in place allowed me to trace around the bolt where it met the wood of the box on the hood.  Once I had the bolt positions marked I pulled the bolts back out and clamped the tube in place.  I used a 1/8″ and a 1/16″ plate of steel as spacers to represent the thickness of fiberglass that will seal the box as well as the aluminum plate that will be screwed to the bottom of the box around the bolt hole to protect the hood as it slides around on top of the bolt trying to find the hole.

After both sides were tacked in place, I raised the hood up and finished the welding of the tube, end caps, and bolts.

Again with these mounts, I don’t know how much force they are going to see.  So when in doubt… over-engineer! I boxed them all in with some pieces of 1/8″ plate.

The picture at the top of this post shows the finished product with the bolt sliding up through the hood with a washer, lock washer and nut.  These will be pretty quick to pop off using a ratcheting wrench.

To finish up the morning, I figured I would tie in the tube on the drivers side with the mount at the front of the frame.  These are just butt welded for now, but I will add some plate steel to box them for added strength.

I also managed to pull off some of the accessories from the engine.  The aluminum accessory bracket will be sent off for media blasting.  I also ordered all of the rest of the parts needed for my Vintage Air GenII Mini A/C and heating unit.  I’ll likely need to create an adapter plate for the new A/C compressor to fit the bracket.

After looking at the engine harness more, I decided to pick up a new harness from Speedway Motors for peace of mind and to ensure that I’m not chasing down gremlins from my harness splicing.

4 thoughts on “Finished the Hood Mount metal work

  1. I’m pretty confident that you could support at least 7 or 8 Batmobiles on those brackets. Nice fab work.


  2. Becareful when you weld bolts. You take a lot of the strength away with the heat. A well placed hammer blow would pop that stud right off. Can I suggest instead to just tack the head to the plate instead of the threads to the plate.

    Other than that it looks good.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s