I started off today with the goal of hooking up my shifter linkage, but the shift cable that I bought turned out to be about a foot short. So I’ll have to return it and get a four foot cable instead. The shift bracket is actually pretty simple and bolts onto the transmission pan. More on that when I get the new cable 🙂
After my plans for the day were foiled I decided to start test fitting my dash panels that I’ve been working on and also building some supports for the dash.
I had been worried about the gauges hitting the cross beam that’s holding up my steering column, but it “looks” like I may not need to change it. We’ll see once we get the gauges in there.
First step was building a tube frame for the dash to rest against. This will provide a surface to weld on some tabs so that I can secure the dash and its panels.
I continued this frame across the top of the dash and then back to the beam. I also placed in some spacers behind the dash near the steering column. This should give me enough space for the back of my switches.
After the supports were done, I placed the dash top back on and started taping on the dash panels that I printed out. This will give me an idea where I may need to adjust the dash to get everything to fit.
I’m still not satisfied with the middle 3 x 6 light/switch panel. I think it’s still a bit big. I’ll have to figure out how I can make it a bit smaller.
It also looks like either the dash area behind the steering wheel needs to go further towards the side of the car before it angles back, or I need to find a way to shorten that “audio” panel.