Pedals Installed

Thursday I took a mid-week vacation day to do some work on the BatBerry.  The goal for the day was to get the base of the firewall created, the steering column hole cut through the firewall, and to install the gas and brake pedals.

To start off with I propped up a false floor using some MDF and some 2 x 4’s to where it felt comfortable.  Then I started creating my jig so that I could move the pedals forward/backward and up/down to find the right position.

I found that the gas pedal mounting position needed to be set about 1.5″ ahead of the brake pedal mount on the firewall.  A nice little chunk of 2 x 3 served as a good spacer for the jig.

I was then able to set them on the false floor and play around with their position until I had something that felt comfortable.  I used masking tape to hold the pedals in their top position during the adjusting.

From this position I was able to find a spot to weld in one of the 1 x 1 tubes across the cage that acted as a cross brace but will also serve as a welding point for the firewall.  I ended up using a sheet of the 1/8″ plate steel for the firewall using some Bristol Board as template material to make sure I had clearance around the transmission.

It was then time to mark and drill the holes based on the location from my jig and attach the brake pedal to double check the spacing.  Everything checked out just fine.

Next was making a mount for the gas pedal.  I cut out a 4″ x 4″ sheet of the 1/8″ plate steel and transferred the bolt hole pattern to it using some more Bristol Board.  I then drilled the steel and welded on some nuts on the back side.

I placed in a couple of spacers while I was welding the nuts so that the plastic back of the brake pedal didn’t melt with the heat of the weld.  Tightening the nuts made sure that the bolts were all lined up while they were inserted in the pedal assembly.

After this I added 1.5″ pieces to the top and bottom of the gas pedal mount to give me the same space I had on the jig, and then I transferred the measurements from the jig to the firewall.  After I finished welding in the gas pedal mount it was on to the brake booster.

First step was cutting the hole for the center of the brake booster to come through the firewall and attach to the brake pedal assembly.  This was great fun because the opening was larger than my largest hole saw.  So I had to bust out the cutting wheel 😦

As you can see, I’m not going to be able to use the headers that I purchased.  They are going to run straight into the firewall, and the passenger side was even worse.  I’ll have to get some block hugging headers that exit straight down from the middle of the head.

The next tricky part was cutting a hole for the steering column that was low enough to clear the bottom of the brake booster, but still high enough that it wouldn’t get in the way of my feet when moving between the gas and the brake pedals.

I was able to find a spot that worked out pretty good..  Now I’ll have to figure out the steering shaft routing and get my hands on some new headers to make sure everything clears.

There’s still a couple of things left to do such as fastening my adjustable steering column firewall mount and building some braces for the top of the pedal assemblies.  But so far, so good 🙂

Advertisements

One thought on “Pedals Installed

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s